This week's WIP Wednesday is actually a Finished Object Wednesday, a follow up to last week's WIP Wednesday post. My supplies for this overhaul included:
1 can gloss black spray paint
1 can gloss dark grey spray paint
silver star shaped brads
1 g.i. joe doll with kung-fu grip
2 round toothpicks
I also needed pliers, scissors, a crappy paintbrush and toothpicks for epoxy mixing and spreading. Nothing tricky here. As I talked about last week, I dismantled an old, falling apart trophy and painted all of the pieces either gloss black or gloss grey with spray paint. Then I reassembled. My husband spent some time digging the screw out from the bottom of the old figurine and then I used pliers to tighten all of the tension roads back together. I epoxied the GI Joe's stand on top, then the GI Joe to the stand, and a star over the Cobra logo on his chest. Then I made the flags, using craft felt and tacky glue. I sprayed some black paint into a paper plate and brushed it on the flags to distress them, as well as using it to touch up the scuffs I had made reassembling the pieces. All told, it cost about $25, the bulk of which were the spray paint and the trophy. A side-by-side comparison, I think it looks way way better now.
Sadly UO was beaten in tournaments at the Civil War LAN so this guy will be living at OSU until UO gets a chance at a rematch.
The before photo isn't great, but today's project is a total overhaul of this trophy. I've dismantled it, cleaned it, pulled off the craptastic faux-wood contact paper and now it's curing, so that I can put it back together tomorrow.
I'm making my own vanilla extract! Based on these instructions and using vanilla beans from this store. In my one quart jar I put in six vanilla beans split in half (I used three Bourbon/Madagascar beans and three Tahitian), 4 ounces of vanilla extract and then filled the jar with Bacardi White Rum. 6 to 8 weeks from now, I'll have vanilla! Just in time for my Christmas baking.
Also, here's a snapshot of the life of this cat owner. She sniffs everything. At least once. The vanilla jar? She sniffed it twice.
As it has gotten colder, my husband realized he needed slippers. I finished this first one ages ago, and am currently aiming to complete the second one this weekend so they can be fulled to size (fulling is the process by which you shrink a piece of knitting using hot water and agitating, frequently inaccurately referred to as felting). They're the Fibertrends Felted Clogs (on Ravelry here).
It's a fairly easy pattern, although some of the short-row shaping is complex because you turn the work several times in one "row" of the pattern. Worked with two strands of worsted weight yarn on size 13, they're something of a hardship on my hands although they knit up quickly. Full review once they're finished and fulled.
The desk under the window is my best shot at getting non-flash photos on dark rainy days. However, it leaves weird reflections and I didn't have anything to make a good backdrop underneath the slippers.